Welcome!

Hi Everyone!

Welcome to my first attempt at creating a blog!

Hopefully (internet connection pending...) I'll be able to keep you all updated throughout my travels and my news from Africa.

First entry will be from Zambia...



quarta-feira, 19 de janeiro de 2011

Zambia Week 1

 19.01.2011
Yebo to all from Zambia!
Well after a one week, already so much to write about! This side is very different to Vic Falls, but amazing none the less. The people here are great and my Lion Manager Cara is awesome. After a quiet first week with the volunteers, we are now a fully stocked site and last night we had our first Zambian night out. Dinner with everyone at a gorgeous lodge in town then off for some drinks TIA style!
I landed on Tuesday morning (12 Jan) in sweltering heat to a very green Africa – a big change from the dry brown and yellow back in September. After a few adjustment days to the new site and routine, all is fantastic.
The site here is huge! I am staying in the staff section in a gorgeous thatch roofed cottage in the area they call ‘Bristol’. Have my own room with the bathroom and showers outside. Brushing your teeth outside at night and hearing the hippos nearby is pretty amazing. Not so much when you run into one…
We have 2 sets of walking ‘cubs’ here, the R’s (Rufiji, Rwanda and Ruma – 18mts old) and the 2 B’s (Bemba and Bisa ‘ 14mts old) and they are just gorgeous and Bemba is coming home with me in my case. Then out at the Dambwa site (release site for stage 2 which is enourmous) there are the 12 big lions. Subi and Nyika (breeding lionesses at 4 yrs old) then Toka and Zulu (BIG boys…) and then the lovely 8 girls (Temi, Tswana – who may also come home in my case – Rundi, Rusha, Kela, Kwandi, Loma and Leya) These girls are getting huge now – we cant go in with any of the 12 as they are preparing for stage 2 and plus just to say hi, they really would just flatten you when greeting you!
Last week, we spent an evening down at the Zambezi River (about a one minute walk away) watching out for hippos and crocodiles as the sun went down.
My first weekend off in Africa on Saturday and where did I go? – Victoria Falls! Had a brilliant weekend over that side with the old crew from September and the lions I walked with last time, including the 3 C’s who at 7 months old are going to be occupying a separate case for me to bring me. Hopefully going to be spending a bit of a longer stint over that side next month to do some work with those cubs and some research for the programme on those lions with their researcher, Wesley. It will be a bit quieter over there volunteer wise, but as I am a total cub hogger, lots of lion time for me J
As it’s the rainy season over here, lunch times (thankfully) are pretty wet for about an hour but apart from the first 2 days, we’ve managed to stay pretty dry! When the sun comes out it is stifling and in the 30+ degree temperatures.
I’m sure I have forgotten to write up so much, but will keep updating when I can!
Until next time, African Emski is signing off – SIYABANGENA!

1 comentário:

  1. Rawr, good job Emski. Nice writing and cant wait to get down and see the cats. I am getting more and more delayed as Uganda is very nice but I WILL get there eventually :D

    ResponderEliminar